You are going to design 3 research studies involving either sleep or exercise. Please submit your assignment in number format.
1. What is a naturalistic observation? What are the elements of a a naturalistic observation.
2. What does a naturalistic observation measure?
3. Design a naturalistic observation to study either sleep or exercise. Where would you make your observations? What variables would you measure? What results do you expect?
4. What is a correlational study? What are the elements of a correlational study and what do they mean?
5. What does a correlational study measure?
6. Design a correlational study to study either sleep or exercise. What two variables would you measure? Do you expect a positive or negative correlation? What does that result mean? What other variable(s) (besides the ones you studied) might explain these results?
7. What is an experimental study? What are the elements of an experimental study and what do they mean?
8. Design an experiment to study either sleep or exercise. What are you independent and dependent variables? What is an IV and DV? What are the experimental and control group; what does each tell you? How would you determine these groups (Be sure to consult your textbook for the specific strategy/label)? What other controls might you consider using in your experiment to strengthen your results? How will you reduce the impact of other variables? What are the expected results and what do they mean?
9. Which of your three studies allows you to determine cause and effect?
5. Write your essay in a word processing program and save the essay to your computer as a .doc or .docx document. This is the format we will use for most essays in this course. Please also follow the Written Assignment Guidelines (in the tab to the left).
6. Click the link below called Research Methods assignment submission and attach your file. View Submitting an Assignment if you need help with this step. Be sure to click the Submit button or I will not receive your file.
This assignment gives you practice applying what you are learning to design a research experiment.
This assignment will be the equivalent of 1-2 pages and is worth 20 points toward your course grade and is due by 11:59 pm Sunday, 3/4. Late assignments will lose points.
I will grade how well thought out your 3 research designs are and on how well you explained the descriptive, correlational, and experimental approaches to either sleep or exercise. Please follow the Written Assignment Guidelines