Work & Power
In Lab 5 involves walking up a flight of stairs and recording your time via a stopwatch or chronograph. You will be asked to make measurements and calculations for the total time to work the flight of stairs (at least 7 steps) and the vertical height of the stairs from the bottom to the top.
The lab details follow:
Purpose: Determine your work and power as you climb a flight of stairs.
Materials: Yardstick, a stopwatch or digital/analog watch, bathroom scale, calculator, and you, the climber
- Estimate your mass in kg (Hint: 1 kg (mass) = 2.2 pounds (weight)).
- You should approach the bottom step of the stairs with a steady speed.
- You are to start the time as you reach the first stair and stop the clock when you reach the top
Observations and Data:
- Calculate the work and power for you to climb the flight of stairs
- Work (you) = _____; power (you) = ________
- Calculate your power in kilowatts: (P(kW) = _____.
- Your local electric company supplies you with 1 kW of power for 1 hour for 8 cents. Assume that you could climb these stairs continuously for 1 hour. How much money would this climb be worth? $_________