Key Health Determinants: Week 4 discussion question
- Review the article â€œA Population Health Framework for Setting National and State Health Goals,â€ focusing on population health determinants.
- Review the information in the blog post â€œWhat Is Population Health?â€
- With this information in mind, elect a population health issue that is of interest to you.
- Using this weekâ€™s Learning Resources, the Walden Library, and other relevant resources, conduct a search to locate current data on your population health issue.
- Consider how epidemiologic data has been used to design population health measures and policy initiatives in addressing this issue.
Question. Give a summary of how the five population health determinants (access to health care, individual behavior, social environment, physical environment, and genetics) affect your selected health issue (Diabetes or obesity), and which determinants you think are most impactful for that particular issue and why. Explain how epidemiologic data supports the significance of your issue, and explain how this data has been used in designing population health measures and policy initiatives.
Â· Kovner, A. R., & Knickman, J. R. (Eds.). (2011). Health care delivery in the United States (Laureate Education, Inc., custom ed.). New York, NY: Springer Publishing.
Â· Kindig, D. (2007). Understanding population health terminology. The Milbank Quarterly, 85(1), 139â€“161.
Â· Kindig, D., Asada, Y., & Booske, B. (2008). A population health framework for setting national and state health goals. JAMA, 299(17), 2081â€“2083.
Â· Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. (2010). Morbidity and mortality weekly report (MMWR). State health statistics. Retrieved from http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/StateHealth/index.html
Â· HealthyPeople.gov. (2010). Foundation health measures. Retrieved fromhttp://healthypeople.gov/2020/about/tracking.aspx
- State of New South Wales, Department of Education and Communities and Charles Sturt University. (2012). Core 1: Health priorities in Australia: How are priority issues for Australiaâ€™s health identified?Retrieved from http://hsc.csu.edu.au/pdhpe/core1/focus/focus1_1/4003/health_pri1_1_1.htm