- Communication with the public is a key element of disaster response. In this assignment, imagine you are a new member of a public safety team in the municipal government and you’ve been tasked with preparing a briefing presentation to introduce emergency management to the community.
Create a 5-slide Microsoft® PowerPoint® presentation introducing community members to emergency management. Include information and examples that address the following questions:
- How is emergency management defined?
- What are the major theories of emergency management?
- What is the history of emergency management?
- Why is emergency management important for the community?
- Include speaker notes, a cover slide, an introduction slide that highlights the presentation’s major points, a conclusion slide that recaps the main points, and a reference slide.
Cite at least 2 sources within the presentation and format your citations according to APA guidelines.
Emergency Management History & Theories
- BBC Worldwide Learning (2008). Hurricane Katrina evacuation plans [Video segment] in Hurricanes from Hell: The World’s Worst Disasters, (03:31).
- FEMA (2020). PrepTalks: Dr. Daniel Aldrich “Social capital in disaster mitigation and recovery” [Full video], (27:42).
- First Run Features (2009). Response to Katrina [Video segment] in America Betrayed, (04:44).
- The Heritage Foundation (2015). Preparing for disaster: U.S. disaster response policy and areas for reform [Full video], (01:02:42).