Changes in Art
For this week, answer all three of the following questions. Cite at least one example in your response for each question. You should reference your book to help you answer these questions. If you use additional sources, you must cite them. Your answers should be in essay format, be a minimum of three-five sentences each, and include at least three terms from our glossary for each question.
- How did the subject matter of Symbolist art diverge radically from Realism?
- What types of behavior and interests does fin-de-siècle describe?
- What did Art Nouveau try to synthesize?
For the midterm this week, choose two of the five questions below and answer them in essay format. You should reference your textbook to help you in answering these questions (look to chapters 28 and 29). Each of your responses should be a minimum of 300 words in length, include a minimum of three key terms from the course so far, and any outside references used must be cited.
- Contrast the work of Renoir and Laurtrec. How do the subjects’ styles of the artists reflect nineteenth century French society and the innovations of nineteenth century art? Use examples to support your essay.
- Describe the impact the Armory Show (1913) had on the American art scene. Use examples to support your essay.
- Describe Pablo Picasso’s Demoiselles d’Avignon. How did this work re-shape the art of the early twentieth century? Include in your discussion the influences coming from Primitive art. Use examples to support your essay.
- Describe the development of sculpture at the end of the nineteenth century. Use examples to support your essay. To what extent did sculpture remain conventional? What painting movements did it take into account?
- Explain the development of Cubism and the artistic movements that it spawned. Use examples to support your essay.